Sunday, July 25, 2010

Fish -- It's What's for Dinner Featuring John the Heron

John the Heron* fishing for his dinner. This was taken Saturday afternoon while Donna and I were headed out to take some pictures at one of the parks on the Navy base where I work. As we were driving into the park we spotted John and I pulled over and managed to get this shot before he gobbled it down. This is why it's important to have your camera turned on and ready to go when you leave home. If I had to take the time to get the camera out of the bag, turn it on, remove the lens cap, extend the lens hood, etc I would have missed the shot. This was taken with my 7D and EF 400 lens. Exposure was 1/2000th at f/5.6 ISO 400.


Something else I learned is to NOT leave your GPS logger sitting on the hood of the vehicle you're driving. I had set it on the hood so that it would get satellite lock before we left the house and I forgot to put it in the truck when we left. When I remembered it we drove home and looked for it. Sadly it's gone so I'll have to order another one. If you're curious the GPS data logger I use is this one: AGL3080: Amod AGL3080 GPS Data Logger.


*I picked up calling Heron's John after reading Weekend Birds II Blog Post by Brent Pennington. Be sure to check out Brent's other work. He's one hell of a photographer and always has something interesting to say in his posts.

2 comments:

  1. I was very excited to see a "John the Heron" post! Glad to see the tradition catching on. And thank you very much for the kind words - I really appreciate it :)

    Sorry to hear about the GPS, though...that's a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was seriously bummed about the GPS but I've ordered a replacement and it will be here this week. I think the John the Heron name will catch on :).

    ReplyDelete